Chris Kujava
Marshall County Social Services Director
208 Colvin Ave, Suite 14
Warren MN 56762

Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Phone: 218-745-5124
Fax: 218-745-5260
Toll Free: 1-800-642-5444

(Not answered after hours)
To file a child protection report after hours, call law enforcement at 218-745-5411


The purpose of Marshall County Social Services is to plan and administer a variety of programs and services that are intended to protect and support families and individuals. The Income Maintenance unit assists eligible persons with cash, medical and food assistance while the Social Service unit provides child and adult protective services and assists vulnerable and disabled persons achieve independence. Child Support is a third unit within the Department and assists with the payment and collection of child support.

Marshall County Resource Group
The Marshall County Resource Group was formed to compile various resources available to residents of Marshall County.  The group involves several entities to ensure resources of all types are included in a convenient digital tool. To visit the website, click here.

Social Services Programs


ApplyMN is Minnesota's secure, online system you can use to apply for cash assistance, SNAP (food support), emergency help, and child care assistance programs.
To get started, visit Minnesota Human Services Online to use an online pre-screening tool find out if you might qualify for benefits and to register for a user ID and password.
If you already have a user ID and password, you can log-on to ApplyMN directly.
You may also complete a paper application.


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:  and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)       mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 
                    1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)       fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3)       email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


Program Description
The Food Stamp program began operations in the United States in 1939. Today's program is, for the most part, based on the Food Stamps Act of 1977. The goal of the program is to assist low-income persons and families to purchase food and better meet their nutritional needs. The program is not intended to supply all of a person's or family's food needs--instead it supplements those needs while the person or family makes efforts to become self-supporting.

Funding and Operations
The United States Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, provides states with the funding needed and the policies governing the Food Stamp program. Minnesota's Department of Human Services supervises the program on a state level, clarifies policies, reviews county performance, and distributes monthly benefits. In accordance with state and federal directives, county human service agencies accept client applications, determine eligibility, and determine monthly benefit levels. The Food Stamp program is available in all 87 Minnesota counties.

Participation Requirements
Monthly benefit levels are based on income and the number of persons in the household. Usually, if the household's net income is at or below 130 percent of federal poverty guidelines, the household will qualify for Food Stamp assistance. Also, if the applicant or others in the household qualify for the Statewide Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP), General Assistance (GA), or the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, the household will also qualify for Food Stamp assistance. Certain food stamp recipients must participate in the Food Stamp Employment and Training Program.

Monthly Benefits
In the past, monthly benefits were issued in the form of Food Stamp coupons. Program recipients then redeemed the coupons for food items at various grocery and convenience stores. Today, monthly benefits are provided through Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards that work much like a debit card. At the beginning of the month, the recipient's EBT account is credited with the amount of benefits the person is eligible for. During the month, the person uses the card to purchase food, and the purchase price is deducted from the monthly account balance. Minnesota now provides benefits through an EBT system in all 87 counties.

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefts, or disability.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (voice), (800) 877-8339 (TTY) or (866) 377-8642 (TTY). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Coordination With MFIP
Families who receive benefits from the Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) will have their food assistance needs met through MFIP rather than through the traditional Food Stamp program. Other adults and families that do not receive MFIP benefits will have their food assistance needs met through the traditional Food Stamp program.


Service Description
Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) provides a monthly cash payment to help supplement a family's income.

MFIP brings employers’ needs for workers and the needs of people on welfare for work together.

By working closely together, employers, schools and government can ready people on welfare for existing jobs, help those now in the workforce gain new skills and prepare future workers for tomorrow’s jobs.

Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) eligibility is: All caregivers must develop an employment plan or family stabilization plan immediately; parents who don’t work or follow through to support their families have their assistance reduced first by 10 percent for one month, then 30 percent for five months, and then assistance is cancelled after the sixth month (Those facing the 30 percent penalty have their rent paid directly to their landlord.); there is a 60-month lifetime limit on assistance unless the family meets a hardship extension category; all caregivers must participate in employment services or family stabilization services except a caregiver with a natural born child less than 12 weeks of age (exception only allowed once in caregiver's lifetime) ; the 60-month time limit can be waived for victims of family violence who comply with an alternative employment plan that ensures the safety of the caregiver and children.


Program Description
Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) is a state funded program that provides a monthly cash supplement to persons who are aged, blind, or 18 years of age or older and disabled who also receive federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. Some recipients receive MSA and do not receive SSI benefits because their income is too high. The MSA program is administered by county human services agencies.

Eligibility Criteria
MSA is available to Minnesota residents who:

  • are recipients of SSI, or
  • are eligible for SSI except for excess income and whose net income is less than the MSA standards.

To receive MSA benefits, a person must be:

  • age 65 or older, or
  • blind or have severely impaired vision, or
  • disabled according to the criteria used for Retirement and Survivors Disability Insurance (RSDI) and SSI and be between the ages of 18 and 65. Disability for non-SSI recipients is determined by the State Medical Review Team.


Program Description
The General Assistance Program serves as Minnesota's primary safety net for single adults and childless couples who are unable to provide for themselves. The program provides monthly cash grants for persons whose income and resources are less than program limits. Recipients are also usually eligible for help with medical costs through the Medical Assistance (MA) program.

Eligibility Requirements
Program participants must fit at least one of the 21 categories of eligibility specified in state statutes. Eligibility categories are primarily defined in terms of inability to work and disability. Applicants and recipients are generally required to apply for benefits from federally funded disability programs for which they may qualify. In addition, the person or couple must have income and resources less than program limits.


Medical Assistance (MA) — Minnesota’s Medicaid program — is the largest of the state’s three health care programs. MA is a joint federally/state-funded program which provides necessary medical services for low-income families, children, pregnant women, and people who are elderly (65 or older) or have disabilities.
The federal Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA) administers Medicaid nationwide, providing funding, approving state plans, and ensuring compliance with federal regulations. In Minnesota, the Department of Human Services (DHS) oversees the Medicaid (Medical Assistance) program, administered locally by counties. Medicaid is the largest single source of federal funding in Minnesota’s budget. DHS translates federal Medicaid law and policy into state MA rule and policy, and makes recommendations and advises the Legislature about state laws relating to the program.

Who’s eligible for MA?
Families, children and pregnant women, with varying incomes, depending on a variety of factors.
People who are disabled or blind, at certain incomes
Elderly people at certain incomes


Health Care Access Plan 2020
Health Care Access Doctor Referral
Health Care Access Bulletin-Recipient Notice
Medical Transportation Voucher
Health Care Access Reimbursement Schedule


Service Description
MinnesotaCare is a health care program that is administered by the Department of Human Services and 47 of Minnesota's 87 counties. MinnesotaCare is available for people who do not have health insurance. A monthly premium is required based upon family size, income and number of family members covered.

Minnesota residents who do not have access to affordable health insurance. To qualify, you must: - Have a Social Security number or be willing to apply for one - Live in Minnesota. - If you are an adult and do not have children living with you, or if your children are over age 21, you must have lived in Minnesota for six months. - Be a U.S. citizen or non-citizen lawfully residing in the U.S. - Not have other health insurance now or have had health insurance (including Medicare), for at least four months except for Medical Assistance enrollees whose health insurance premium was paid for by Medical Assistance. - Not be able to get health insurance through an employer who offers to pay at least half the monthly cost. Some children may be eligible if they have health insurance. A MinnesotaCare enrollment representative will review your application and tell you if your insured children qualify. What are the income limits? Income limits vary depending on family size. Are there asset limits? - There is no asset limit for pregnant women and children under 21 - For all others, the asset limit is $10,000 for a family of one and $20,000 for a family of two or more The most commonly counted assets include: - Cash - Savings accounts - Checking accounts - Certificates of deposit - Stocks and bonds - Motor vehicles not used for employment purposes - Recreational vehicles such as 4-wheelers, snowmobiles, boats/motors/trailers and campers - Land or houses you do not live on or in - Amount of capital and operating assets of a trade or business that exceed $200,000 Assets that are not counted include: - The home you live in - Household and personal goods such as clothing, jewelry, furniture, appliance and tools and equipment used in the home - Motor vehicles used for employment purposes - Individually owned pension and retirement funds - There may be other assets that your family owns that may be counted or excluded.

NACo Prescription Discount Card
The NACo Prescription Discount Card Program is a free program for County residents to receive an average of 24% savings on their prescriptions. Everyone is elligible for the card. There are no age or income restrictions. The card can be used by the uninsured, underinsured, seniors and even pets! One card can cover the entire family! Nine out of 10 pharmacies accept the card out of a network of more than 60,000 pharmacies nationwide.

Simply present your card at a participating retail pharmacy and start saving! You and your family may use your card any time your prescription is not covered by insurance. There are no restrictions or limits on how many times you may use your card.

Visit to look up a participating pharmacy, get a price estimate for your prescription, or check drug interactions. You can even print your prescription discount card online for instant savings! For more information call toll free 1-877-321-2652.

A prescription discount card is NOT insurance. Rather, it is a simple way to save money on prescriptions not covered by insurance.

For more info visit:


Service Description
Marshall County is the host for the Fraud Prevention Program position for the Northwest 8 County Region of Marshall, Kittson, Roseau, Pennington, Polk, Red Lake, Norman and Mahnomen.  Fraud Prevention is a program that was developed to resolve issues in cases that meet criteria of potential fraud. Resolving these discrepancies maintains program integrity and results in a savings to the taxpayers in program costs and ensures that funds are available to those who really need assistance. Marshall County usually receives allegations of welfare fraud either from case workers who regularly work with recipients of public assistance or from the general public. If the investigation finds the violation was intentional, the case is referred for administrative process or for criminal prosecution.  To report suspected fraud, you can call the toll free MN Fraud Hotline at 1-800-627-9977.


Adult Protection
The Adult Protection program investigates allegations of elderly neglect and abuse. Vulnerable adult investigations are completed in conjunction with law enforcement agencies, and ongoing adult protection services are provided if needed.

To report suspected maltreatment of vulnerable adults, please contact the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center.

Elderly & Disability Waivered Services
The waiver program provides assessments for home care services for senior citizens and disabled adults. Programs available are Elderly Waiver (EW), Alternative Care (AC), Community Alternatives for Disabled Individuals (CADI), and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Waivers. If the assessment indicates that the person is eligible for these programs, case management to coordinate services will be provided. These programs are intended to promote community living and independence by providing the appropriate health care, home care, and support services based on individual needs.

Nursing Home Pre-admission Screening
Pre-admission screening is a service provided to assist persons considering nursing home placement, aid in discharge planning, and recommend alternative services as appropriate.

Developmental Disabilities
The Developmental Disabilities program provides assessment and services to disabled persons in Marshall County. The intent of the program is to strengthen the disabled person's self-reliance and provide community support services while protecting clients from abuse, neglect, or exploitation. Services available include case management, Semi-Independent Living Services (SILS), respite care, supported employment, guardianship, and referrals for other necessary services.

Adult Mental Health
The Adult Mental Health program assists clients with mental illness by providing services including case management, referrals to community mental health and outreach programs, day treatment programs, and coordination with residential treatment facilities. The Adult Mental Health program also provides pre-screenings for judicial commitment when a petitioner comes forward who is willing to testify about a family member or loved one who is in imminent danger of harm to self or others due to mental health and/or chemical dependency issues.

Chemical Dependency
Marshall County Social Services provides Rule 25 assessment services to residents of Marshall County who have been court ordered to complete the assessment.

Assessments and case management services are also provided to clients seeking treatment for chemical dependency who also meet certain income guidelines, or who receive Medical Assistance (MA or GAMC).

Special Needs Basic Care
Special Needs Basic Care (SNBC) is a voluntary managed care program for people with disabilities ages 18 through 64 who have Medical Assestance (MA).  Enrollees may have a care coordinator or navigator to help them get health care and support services.


Child Care Licensing
The ChildCare Licensing program provides assistance to Marshall County residents 18 years of age and older wishing to become licensed to provide child care in their home. The licensing process includes fire and safety inspections of the home, a criminal background study, and the discussion of State licensing guidelines and standards.  Parents can look up a provider's license on the Department of Human Services website at  This look-up site will also indicate if there have been any negative actions against the licensed provider.

Child Foster Care Licensing
Foster parents provide a stable and loving home for children who are in need of temporary care. The licensing social worker assists the prospective foster parents by coordinating the licensing process, which includes a criminal background study, home safety and fire checks, and letters of reference.

Adult Foster Care Licensing
Marshall County Social Services assists clients who wish to provide Foster Care services to adults in the community. A licensing social worker provides coordination services to prospective Foster Caregivers. The licensing process includes a criminal background study, home safety and fire checks, and letters of reference.


Adoption Services
Marshall County Social Services provides adoptive placement services to children who are in need of adoptive homes through the use of the State Adoption Exchange.

Family Preservation Services
Family Preservation Services-- In-home services to prevent out of home placement or to help facilitate the safe return of the child(ren) to the parent(s). Services are provided to families who are at high risk of entering the child protection system and to families who are presently in the system due to substantiated maltreatment.

Child Placement
Child Placement--Out of home placement of children for the protection from abuse or neglect, for treatment of emotional disorders or chemical dependency or placement due to delinquent acts committed by a juvenile.

Child Protective Services
The Child Protection unit investigates allegations of child abuse including physical abuse, sexual abuse, neglect, and educational neglect. The unit coordinates with the law enforcement center as well as community professionals and para-professionals to determine if the child was abused or neglected by an action, or failure to act on the part of a caregiver or other person. The results of the assessment will determine whether child protective services are needed.  To make a child protection report after our regular business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, during holidays or on weekends, please call the Marshall County Sheriff's Department at 218-745-5411.  The fax IS NOT a viable report option to make a child protection report after hours.

Child Welfare Case Management
Social workers assist families to develop case plans, which reduce the risk of abuse or neglect of children. These services are provided to families who have requested them, or have been referred by other agencies to participate in services that may improve family functioning. These services include in-home counseling, parent education, respite day care or foster care, minor parent assessments, and SELF (Support for Emancipation and Living Functionally).

Children's Mental Health
The Children's Mental Health program provides case management services to children experiencing emotional disturbances and their families. These services include coordinating counseling, in-patient treatment, out-of-home placement, respite, and family community support services, etc.

Child Care Assistance
The ChildCare Assistance program provides funding to help families pay for child care while they are at work or attending school. There are various programs within the ChildCare Assistance program to assist a variety of clients. These programs include Basic Sliding Fee, which provides a childcare subsidy for low income working families; MFIP (Minnesota Family Investment Program) which provides child care subsidies to assist financial assistance recipients return to work, and Transition Year, which provides one year of subsidy for clients who have left the MFIP program due to increased earnings.  If you would like a copy of the Child Care Assistance Program Plan, please contact 218-745-5124 and make that request.



  • Locating parents.
  • Establishing parentage.
  • Establishing and enforcing court orders for child support, medical support, and child care support.
  • Adjusting court orders based on the cost-of-living index.
  • Working with other states to enforce support when one parent does not live in Minnesota.
  • Collecting and processing payments.

Either parent of a child may get certain support services.
Parents who do not receive public assistance can apply for services at their county child support office. They may be charged a fee.  Ask the Child Support Officer about potential fees.

Parents who receive public assistance for a child whose other parent does not live with them are automatically referred for services. They do not pay any fee.

SERVICES NOT AVAILABLE (We cannot help with)

  • Legal separation and divorce.
  • Visitation and custody.
  • We cannot answer legal questions about custody and visitation.
  • Spousal maintenance (alimony) establishment or enforcement.
  • Collection of unpaid bills, property settlements, or other debts not related to support obligations.
  • Legal advice or counsel.

You may wish to consult an attorney for assistance with the above issues.
For more detail information call the Minnesota Department of Human Services Interactive Voice Response case and payment information line at:
(651)215-5630 (Twin Cities area)
1(800) 657-3512 (outside Twin Cities calling area).


Marshall County Social Services uses Volunteers to enhance the quality of life for the clients we serve.  Volunteers are used to assist clients in providing transportation, providing friendly visits in the client’s home, being a mentor to a child in need as a big brother or sister, and assisting in the annual Sharing Tree and Food Basket Projects that are organized through Marshall County Social Services.

  • Volunteer Driver – Provides transportation for clients of Marshall County Social Services to medical appointments, group meetings, visitations or other needs as specified by the agency. Volunteers use their personal vehicles and are reimbursed for mileage.
  • Visiting Friend -  Provides companionship to shut-ins, the elderly and handicapped or the socially isolated.  The volunteer will visit, and/or write letters or cards to the assigned friend on a regular basis.

  • Little Brothers – Little Sisters- The volunteer acts as a big brother/sister and is paired with a child in need.  They are a positive adult role model for the child.  They spend time together to help enhance the self-esteem and self-concept of the child.  They meet as it works for their schedules, with the goal to meet once a month.

  • Christmas Volunteers – Volunteers help gather, wrap, sort and deliver gifts that are donated by people throughout Marshall County for children in need.  The project takes place at the courthouse, a few weeks before Christmas, so all gifts are delivered in time for the Holiday.  Christmas Food Baskets are also delivered by volunteers during the holiday season to many adult clients.  The baskets are made possible from donations and individuals in the county.

If you have questions about being a volunteer or the services we provide, contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 218-745-5124.  If you would like to begin the process of becoming a volunteer, click the Volunteer Application. 

Volunteer Application